Thursday, November 24, 2011

  Good Morning to all of you on this very grateful Thanksgiving Day. We are so very, very grateful to all of you who have so faithfully supported us and this ministry to the children in Haiti. At times it has been a challenge beyond capacity, but your prayers and support have made it all possible.

   I write this greeting to you with much emotion after just arriving home two days ago. Sad to leave the ones that I have grown to love so much, but glad to return to my wife and children and grandchildren that I also love so very much. As I contemplate this Holiday morning, I can't help but feel that, like many of our American holidays, maybe the real meaning of the day has been slowly eroded by our lifestyle. I look around my home and realize that most of my many rooms are larger than the average mud hut in Haiti. My closet has ample clothes for me to wear for nearly a month if I choose to, while most Haitians have a daily and a church outfit, if that. And the stuff that is filling my closets and attic and garage would fill a large truck, while most Haitians personal belongings would hardly fill a single cardboard box. Have I taken the rich blessings from God and kept them for myself?

   The first celebration of thanksgiving came after a long cold winter, barely survived by the new pilgrims of our country who had found themselves in such dyer need. Then the caring, generous natives of this Kingdom shared their resources with those in need, and not only their resources but love, encouragement, security, faith, and salvation. Isn't this the calling on all of us who share in the rich blessings of Gods Kingdom? For us to be generous as He has been generous with us. How far do we dare go in satisfying our own desires until we have crossed the line of neglecting the poor and lost and hurting and needy. Surely He has given us plenty. Surely He has shown us, "O man what is good and what the Lord requires of thee. But to act justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment