Saturday, August 3, 2013

Hello again,

God amazes me, after sharing about living wrecked yesterday.....He gets me again today. Today I was able to listen to worship music during the day, which is unusual. I was listening to Matt Redman's song 10,000 reasons. Part of the Lyrics go "It's a new day dawning/ It's time to sing Your song again/ Whatever may pass/ And whatever lies before me/ Let me be singing when the evening comes". It seems like I am living out words set before me again. As I was returning from Port-au-Prince at dusk, this was the song playing and I WAS singing. One of our translators that we have used for about 4 years is getting married next Saturday. In Haiti they do not have bridesmaids and groomsmen. The bride chooses a Godfather and the groom chooses a Godmother to be in the wedding ceremony and to be a witness of the wedding. They also are supposed to be people they can go to in the future for advice. Jonas our translator has given me the honor of choosing me to be his Godmother in his wedding. The clothing I brought to Haiti is very practical and does not include any wedding clothes, so for the past 6 weeks I have asked to be taken to Port-au-Prince to find a dress. I tried Gonaives, Haiti's third largest city, and there was only one nice dress that fit me and was not really the best choice. I know this sounds unbelievable, but we did have help, problem is there are not stores in Gonaives, like most other countries. Almost everything is sold in the open market. So after being told yes week after week and then when the day comes being told no, I was getting anxious. So finally I said this Saturday I am going no matter what comes up. So we get up at 6:00 am in order to leave Marose at 7:00 am, first problem a flat tire. We go into Gonaives and by a new tube then go to the roadside stand to have it filled and put on. We get about 45 mins. down the road and surprise we have a 2nd flat tire, not only one but 2. So Mike takes the two flat tires and gets on a tap tap with them. He purchases new tubes and has them filled and mounted again and returns carrying both tires while getting a ride on a motorcycle tap tap this time. Next stop we picked up Madame Nathan to help me choose a dress that meets all the requirements for a wedding. We have all 5 of our children with us, plus Madame Nathan and Voltaire a friend to help find the store in Port-au-Prince and help with the language barrier. Then the next surprise, another flat tire. We are now about 3 hours behind schedule, one of the kids is sick and it looks like we have a pattern established with the flat tires. And I am thinking of the song, I have a choice.......am I going to be able to sing when the evening comes, regardless of whatever may pass and whatever lies before me? At that point in 98 degree weather, after what would become 5 flat tires, with the possibility of getting to Port-au-Prince late enough for the stores to be closed and not coming home with a suitable dress for the wedding in one week, I am really being challenged to be thinking of .....10,000 reasons for my heart to sing. The song finishes with "Still my soul will sing Your praise unending/Ten thousand years and then forevermore".

Thank you for your prayers today, we really needed them :) 

Last month I felt like it would be good to have a birthday party for the children who had a birthday in June. So Nathan and my daughter Rebecca helped me throw a birthday party. For the July birthdays Nathan and Mike helped me. I baked a cake for the birthday children, gathered up a small gift and Nathan played his accordion and sang Happy Birthday in creole to them among other songs. The children enjoyed it and I would like to continue this each month. So I was wondering if any of you would like to help me accomplish this. It is much easier to make a cake from a Betty Crocker cake mix than from scratch. Also, there is no true powered sugar here in Haiti and what they call powdered sugar is expensive. When I have wanted powdered sugar for frosting here, I have rolled granulated sugar til it is close to powder. So if some one would like to donate Betty Crocker cake mixes and powdered sugar and some little items I can use for gifts I would love it. Please contact Dustin and Melissa at the number below or e-mail us for more info.

Many Blessings,
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment